An all-new PlayStation Plus launches in June, promising players on the highest of three membership tiers access to over 700 games.
Announced today in a PlayStation Blog post by Jim Ryan, the President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation Plus confirms the rumours and leaks about "Project Spartacus" that have been floating around for months.
From June, the existing PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now services will be merged into an all-new PlayStation Plus subscription service. New PS+ will be available at three membership tiers.
PlayStation Plus Essential
- Two monthly downloadable games
- Exclusive discounts
- Cloud storage for saved games
- Online multiplayer access
Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today. There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus:
- $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
- (Based on the current PS+ price locally, about R120 monthly)
PlayStation Plus Extra
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400 PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from the PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners.
- Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
- $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
- (Based on the current PS+ price locally, about R180 monthly)
PlayStation Plus Premium
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games, including:
- PS3 games available via cloud streaming
- A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available.
- Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
- $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
- (Based on the current PS+ price locally, about R216 monthly)
PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets)
- For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium and includes a catalog of classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.
When the new PlayStation Plus service launches, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus offering and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.
The new subscriptions will be rolled out in a phased regional approach. In June timeframe, SIE will begin with an initial launch in several markets in Asia, followed by North America, Europe and then the rest of the world where PlayStation Plus is offered. The aim is to have most PlayStation Network territories live with our new PlayStation Plus game subscription service by the end of the first half of 2023 (The blog post says "the first half of 2022" but that must be a typo surely?)