A thing /ˈθɪŋ/ was the governing assembly of a northern Germanic society, made up of the free people of the community presided over by lawspeakers. The word appears in Old Norse, Old English, and modern Icelandic.
--Mimir, the rememberer (a.k.a. Wikipedia)
Unleash your inner berserker at A Viking Thing this Saturday (3 March) at La Vue Lodge in Muldersdrift.
The event will feature:
- Viking Games – archery, Axe throwing, Kubb (viking chess), toga hönk (seated tug-of-war) and tug-of war (standing) and the farmer's walk!
- Eat, drink and be merry – feasting, mead and ale in the Mead Hall.
- Mead Hall Quiz – test thine mettle!
- Viking Vestment Contest – create your Viking Age persona's clothing and enter!
- Viking Quest – go a-viking and bring home the Hoard.
In addition, there will also be the following activities to partake from:
- Medieval Fight Club – all proceeds from A Viking thing will go towards getting our South African fighters to the stage of Full Contact Medieval Combat 2018.
- Bladesmithing – for all your swordmaking needs.
- Handfastings – tie the knot, get engaged, make your year-and-a-day promise, or renew your vows.
- Mounted archery – there are bows, there are horses, so this was inevitable
- Vegetable Justice – hurl (mostly) fresh tomatoes at the jester while he hurls insults at you.
- Eoin’s Tankard – purveyors of Queens Nectar Mead and Yggdrasil Dew Flavoured Vodka.
- Nakamura Rya Batto-do and Eastern Samurai vs Western Knight displays.
- Magic: The Gathering tournament – DeeTwenty continues to run the annual tournament, which will be played in the modern constructed format. Entry is R50, and is separate from entry into the fair itself.
Be ye warned: Thine journey to yon fayre is frought with peril (there is a 1km dirt road to the venue). Ye typical Longboat can navigate the shoals with ease, yet deeper-keeled vessels may run aground (it is suitable for most normal cars but not for vehicles with very low suspension).
By Odin's beard, just get to the pillaging!
Post thumbnail by Wessel Woortman.