Critical Role launched a Kickstarter campaign on Monday for an animated special featuring characters from its popular weekly Dungeons & Dragons live stream. The Kickstarter reached its $750,000 goal within an hour and has already raised over $5-million.
Around 42,000 have backed the project. With 42 days left to go, who knows what it will end up on.
Vox Machina was the name of the adventuring party that was the focus of Critical Role's original storyline. The original group was made up of:
- Pike Trickfoot (gnome cleric, Ashley Johnson)
- Keyleth (half-elf druid, Marisha Ray)
- Percival “Percy” Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III (human gunslinger, Taliesin Jaffe)
- Grog Strongjaw (goliath barbarian, Travis Willingham)
- Scanlan Shorthalt (gnome bard, Sam Riegel)
- Vex’ahlia (half-elf ranger, Laura Bailey)
- Vax’ildan (half-elf rogue, Liam O’Brien)
While the tale of Vox Machina concluded in November 2017, after 115 episodes and 373 hours of gameplay, Critical Role says the show is still going strong. It is over 50 episodes into its second season, which features a new cast of characters who call themselves the Mighty Nein.
Here is the pitch video for The Legend of Vox Machina Kickstarter campaign:
And here is an hour-long video in which they do a Q&A for the campaign:
Some of the perks they are offering:
And a breakdown of how they are going to spend the money:
I wonder how much money they will raise in the time available? As with all Kickstarters, it seems to have slowed down after launch, but it will likely spike again in the last few days before it ends.